This is an integrated four-year doctoral training programme, which combines a one-year MRes programme with a subsequent three-year doctoral research programme. The aim of the individually tailored training programmes and topical collaborative research projects is to provide highly trained and motivated research leaders for industry, or scientists and engineers who wish to maintain significant links with industry in an academic career.
The MRes programme incorporates a number of different training and research activities:
- Dedicated taught courses in molecular modelling, materials science and topic-specific courses.
- Survey and review of the relevant scientific literature.
- Research project, which comprises 60% of the MRes degree programme.
- Professional, generic and transferable skills training provided by the UCL Centre for the Advancement of Learning and Teaching.
- Optional elective courses at the London Business School.
Upon successful completion of the first year, the degree of MRes is conferred and the students proceed to the second phase.
Doctoral research programme
The second phase consists of a three-year doctoral research programme, where each student works in collaboration with an external sponsor. The student may be placed with the external sponsor for short or long periods and is sometimes fully integrated in the sponsor's research team. The EngD degree is conferred upon successful completion of novel and high quality research, submission of a written doctoral thesis and viva voce examination by examiners.